[LUG] OT: Fwd: Microsoft refuses to detail content of Windows 10 updates

More thoughts on Windows 10. OT in that it's W10, but on topic as it could drive more businesses to Linux.

Julian

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Microsoft refuses to detail content of Windows 10 updates
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 11:28:37 +0100

Previously, Microsoft has published detailed information of the actual
content of its updates and patches, but this has stopped under Windows
10, particularly for updates that are not security-related. Therefore,
when you receive your mandatory updates (that cannot be switched off in
most versions of the OS), you have absolutely no idea of what is
actually inside those updates or what effect it will have on your system
or data privacy.

Microsoft are getting as bad as Apple for this and frankly, given that
the majority of Microsoft's user-base is the corporate sector, I can't
help wondering how this will play out in company IT departments.

I can imagine a conversation between a company CEO, embarassed by a
hacking incident who is quizzing the IT manager about security, and all
he can say is "sorry boss, we no longer have any control over the
software..."

How the hell is that going to work in corporate IT where department
heads may be responsible for hundreds of gigabytes of supposedly private
data (be it customer accounts, trade secrets etc)?

Windows 10 is looking less and less viable for business all the time. It
seems that Microsoft is now targeting the average-joe user who has no
concept of data privacy and just wants an apple-style auto-magical user
experience where everything just works but which you have absolutely no
control over.

Not good. At least tell the customers what the updates actually contain.
I'm not suggesting that Microsoft will be distributing malware in this
way, but recent incidents involving HP and Lenovo (both caught shipping
malware in the UEFI firmware - so it can never be removed by the average
user, nor by any security software) are not encouraging...

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/microsoft-has-no-plans-to-tell-us-whats-in-windows-patches/