Re: [LUG] Thunderbird randomly picking accounts to send mail from

On 09/05/15 17:21, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The subject says it all and I am getting more and more *bleep*ed off
> with it.  Every time I reply to a mail from the list instead of sending
> from the address it was sent to (this one) it sends from my personal
> mail which of course fails.  Now it's started sending mail from a
> separate IMAP account for a museum I volunteer at which I /never/ want
> mail sent from as it's for incoming mail from our website.  On the
> latter I suppose I could just delete the SMTP info for that account but
> the other issue is damned annoying.
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Presuming you're on something Debian-ish, I'd start off with:

sudo apt-get purge thunderbird* && sudo apt-get install
thunderbird-locale-en-gb

Which if I remember rightly should obviously enough pull in the
thunderbird package as well as a dependency whilst retaining the correct
localisation (seems to work in my Thunderbird instance as it didn't
redline localisation with an "s"!).

That probably won't work as I suspect your profile has got corrupted
instead. Have you tried setting up Thunderbird identically with all your
accounts/plugins on another machine? I bet if you do, it will work
perfectly.

If you can try that it would be ideal. If your second Thunderbird
instance works absolutely perfectly, which it will, that means your
profile is corrupt. Back it up just to be on the safe side (you should
actually do this first: come to think of it, the above purge command
will probably nuke everything so do the backup before anything else) and
start a clean Thunderbird instance. It will be a pain restoring your
address book, contacts, etc from files but shouldn't take longer than
five minutes at max.

I've had almost exactly the same problem and whenever anything goes
wrong with Thunderbird - or Firefox - I fix it exactly the same way. You
could also just start up Thunderbird with the -profilemanager flag and
create a new one whilst retaining the old data in place.

Um, actually I'm an idiot and didn't even bother looking on my own PC
first: before you do any of that check in Edit > Account Settings and
right down at the bottom there's a setting for "Outgoing Server (SMTP)"
- it's probably set to the wrong default. Hopefully that's the case,
otherwise do all the irritating stuff above.

Cheers