Re: [LUG] Bloody politicians! Rant.

On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 20:18:12 +0000
peter walker <peter.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello peter,

>It's always confused me that banks send us unsigned email warning us
>about phishing attacks then ask us to click on a llink to check our

Or 'phone using an automated system to tell you your credit/debit card
had been used in an "out of character" way.  Usually, from a number that
is *not* listed /anywhere/ on their web site.

>If the high street banks had got together and agreed that encrypted
>email was the way to go then we could all communicate with them securely
>without the need for other programs/web pages. As the banks all want
>proof of id for everything (often in person) then they would have been

They only require all that because the law says we must provide them
with proof of ID.  It's supposedly to stop money laundering.  Oh, and
one of the items most commonly used is a birth certificate which is
*not* a proof of identity(1).

Ask any family historian (myself included) for their birth cert, and
they can probably show you hundreds.  They're all mine; I bought them.
Only one relates to my birth, however.

(1)  One of the ironies of getting a passport (which *is* proof of
identity) is that a birth cert is necessary to get it.

--
 Regards  _
Does she always shout at you, does she tell you what to do