Re: [LUG] Backups and Storage

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 14:05:01 +0000
Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

>There must be others. I also want to keep some personal accounting and
>family history safe. All this not just for me but for the family too.

Off-site is always a good one, especially for critical stuff like
accounts and family history(1).  Also, don't always use the same batch
of DVDs for backups;  If there's a problem with the DVDs themselves,
*all* your data is lost, not just one set.

I know you mentioned cloud services (which is of course, off site), but
they can disappear on the whim of a corporation you have no control
over(2). If at all possible, keep DVD (or whatever) copies of records
more than 200 yards, sorry metres, from the location of the computer.  A
not too distant family member can prove helpful here.  Also, it's all
well and good making the backups, but ideally, ease of restoration of
the data should be tested for each one, /especially/ if compression into
an archive format is involved.

(1)  One of the main uses of a computer for me is to aid record keeping
of genealogical research.

(2)  Much of the time, you'll get advance notice of closure, but if a
company goes belly up overnight you may not have enough time to retrieve
anything from their servers.

--
 Regards  _
Chose to play the fool in a six piece band