Re: [LUG] Mozilla losing the plot a little bit further

On 20/11/2014 00:39, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 19/11/14 22:54, Simon Avery wrote:
>> https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/11/19/promoting-choice-and-innovation-on-the-web/
>>
>> Yay, let's throw away an agreement that uses the best search engine
>> the world has ever known, and instead default to Yahoo search or Bing.
>>
>> I made the switch to chrome a while ago. Was uncomfortable for a
>> while, and doing without some of my cherished plugins was a pain, but
>> I don't regret the move. Less so when Mozilla do things like this!
>>
> Key word - default.  Just because one is default doesn't mean you have
> to /use it/.
>
> Julian

Default, gives Mozilla revenue. We can use any search engine you like in
your Firefox set-up.
All companies need revenue to survive.
What this does NOT tell us , is if Google offered less revenue in future
to Mozilla, and that may have been crucial to Mozilla decision; as is
also the competition of a Google browser in Chrome which was not in
evidence 10 years ago when the agreement for Mozilla revenue was last
fully negotiated.
--
regards
Eion MacDonald