Re: [LUG] Two DrayTek Vigor modems on the same LAN

On 13/09/14 22:29, Martijn Grooten wrote:

> (1) Having two modems connected to machines on the same LAN - although
> on second interfaces on each machine - shouldn't be an issue, should it?
>
> (2) The modem creates its own mini-LAN for maintenance. So it assigns
> the machine IP address 192.168.2.10 through DHCP and assigns itself IPO
> address 192.168.2.1. This allows you to connect to its web interface. Is
> it a problem if both modems use the same IP addresses?
>
> I don't think either should be a problem - assuming one doesn't do funny
> things with the routing - but I have a tendency to make daft mistakes
> when designing a network.

It will be an issue if both routers have the same IP on the LAN. There
will also be problems if both of them are trying to act as DHCP servers.

You'd be better off with the second router having an IP of
192.168.2.2/24 or 192.168.3.1/24. With DHCP OFF.
Multiple IP ranges on the same ethernet segment works without any
problems. But multiple DHCP is only possible in certain circumstances
and possibly not at all with the kind of DHCP implimentations on
embedded devices.