Re: [LUG] Low diskspace on /

On 13/08/2014 10:56, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Once again Mint is telling me / is low on disk space, and referring to
> previous mails when I asked this question I know what information to
> look for;
>
> sda8 /is/ the / mount partition.  I have just checked the backup for /
> and the size does seem to be reported correctly.  How would I list the
> directory(ies) sizes on / please?

The steps you posted were fine: "df -klh" is confirming what Mint told
you, and that you have very little disk space left on /.

This is why I vehemently disagree with advocates of complex partitioning
systems and especially separate home partitions - self defeating,
backwards, prone to failure. In the modern world do one of the following:

1: single partition SSD (no separate anything, not even /boot - no swap
either, 8Gb+ RAM obviates it). In the case of EFI, you will also need a
~1Gb FAT32 EFI partition, that's it.
2: ZFS, BTRFS or LVM as your storage management layer - arbitrarily
resizing, snap-shotting and restoring filesystems is nice, I have
problems understanding why anyone would wilfully not use this

You're going to have to clear up your dangerously full root partition
the best you can - usual candidates are old kernels + linux-headers
packages littering /boot, crap building up in /var/log and /var/cache
and if you've done distribution upgrades between releases, a lot of
duplicate/obsolete packages and libraries.

Regards