Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi

On Sat, 9 Aug 2014, bad apple wrote:

It's weird that PoE isn't more mainsteam for these boards, it seems like
a natural fit to me. Working with wifi APs, VOIP phones and security
cams a lot I'm really used to just plugging stuff into PoE switches,
VLANing it off and calling it a day but if they're that expensive, well,
I'll just do it normally. Again, glad I remembered to ask.

The main reason is cost. 3 years ago the electronics to take the superimposed 48v off a cat-5 cable and make it presentable were somewhat expensive. The budget end-user price for the Pi was (and still is) $35.

This page:

http://www.raspberrypioneer.com/2013/06/13/how-to-run-your-raspberry-pi-from-poe-for-under-15/

suggests it can be done for under £15 though. I reckon it's a shade more as they forgot the Ethernet patch cable from the box to the Pi..

Heres another:

http://www.robot-italy.com/en/mod-poe-v2-poe-adapter.html

€25 though and you'll need the power cables.

There are many others too.

Basically $35 was the price the foundation reckoned was going to the most attractive to younger people - and affordable to schools, bulk buyers, etc.

Gordon