[LUG] Log management

Wondering what folk use for log management.

I've typically used logchecker, or logwatch, and a variety of similar tools.

They are mostly okay for what I've used them for but I want to step it up.

The use of email for them is losing utility - too much email, too slow
to be checked.

I'm tired of writing regular expression, they are error prone, sometimes
slow, and frankly by now should be better written by machine with some
hints or indeed just be database queries.

I have access to the very high end enterprise tools but actually this is
not a rocket science problem by modern standards, and it seems silly to
pay that sort of money where the benefits are going to be modest over a
well thought out but relatively simple tool does.

Been looking at OSSIM and related tools, which has Clearcutter, which
I'll look at next, but thought I'd ask as I'm not inspired.