[LUG] sources woes

Sorry for the long story. Section 1 is background, section 2 is the current problem.

1. Having been away for 6 weeks consorting with the French and Spanish, on my return I thought my aging desktop could do with a face-lift. (Nice to get back to reasonably fast broadband and computer after 6 weeks on a tablet and smartphone on very unreliable wifi.) I put in a 1 TB drive and another 4 Gb RAM, partitioned the new drive and copied the /root and /home partitions from the old drive to the new with DD. (Running Mint 16) Disconnected the old HD and no joy. I found that this was due to the old drive root being sda3 and the new one sda1 thus confusing Grub. Sorted that and decided to apply Mr Meowski's infallible method of upgrading as I find Mint 17 has appeared. This worked but with one or two funnies which I haven't the details of now. But I got it working and it ran for a couple of hours OK but coming back to it I found a blank screen and the HD running constantly. After waiting an hour I reset and the system was screwed, no boot, can't find an operating system, a day of trying this and that using a laptop to get info off the net. I disconnected the new HD and reconnected the old HD and lo and behold, that was borked too. I eventually found that there was a hardware fault, processor problem I think, which had screwed the root somehow. Give up time.

2. I have another computer, no working HD, so I fitted the new drive to that. I didn't have a copy of the Mint 17 iso so I installed Mint 16 from a cd to sda1, sda2 being the original home directory. Everything worked so I then went to upgrade to Mint 17 using the Mr Meowski method. But the sources list would not work, There were in fact no entries in /etc/apt/sources.list, only a line saying # deb cdrom:[Linux Mint 16 _qiana_ - Release i386 20131128]/ trusty contrib main non-free which I assume is from the cd install. So, I went into synaptic and updated the repositories from petra to qiana and saucy to trusty, came out of synaptic and ran apt-get dist-upgrade, which it did. So, I now had a fully working installation of Mint 17 which I proceeded to embellish with all the useful cruft which I can't live without. Worked OK except that I can't seem to install a working copy of Vbox. I think it is down to my sources.list (which now has a line I put in deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian qiana contrib) but doesn't work from that either. I believe that the problem is the sources this damned installation is working from. Where are they? I've had a hunt but can't find them. Any suggestions please.

George