Re: [LUG] Updates

On 06/07/14 17:47, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I run Xubuntu 14.04 so I get the automatic updates which appear
> occasionally. It has never occurred to me before, but what if I see
> something in the list of files to be updated which I don't want? for
> example today I had some which I noticed included an update to Kate
> editor. Kate is not installed on my computer, it is a KDE file and I
> run Xfce. As editor I use gedit.
>
> Also, a little while ago I ran the updates and suddenly found that
> firefox looked weird. I have since sorted that, but my main question
> is,  is there a way to remove one of the updates from the list before I
> run the update manager? Not a security one of course. And what if I
> don't want that update to appear again?
>
> Just wondering,
>
> Neil

Prepare to enter dangerous territory.

Do NOT try and second guess package managers and system maintainers.
What you want is possible through apt pinning and package masking but
honestly, you are a hundred years too early to even think about doing this.

You say Kate is not installed on your machine - but it obviously is. How
would you be receiving an update to it otherwise? It would be a new
install if it was merely being pulled in via dependencies.

Firefox 'looked weird' because it has switched to the new Australis
interface (i.e., a bit chrome-like). You probably 'fixed' it by
installing an extension or two to re-skin it to the more traditional
look. Your other option was to deny the update and continue using an
outdated, security hole riddled broken firefox version.

This does seem to be what you're asking for: "how can I ignore critical
updates to my system software for no good reason?"

In the strongest possible terms, do *not* do this.

Your first step is to never use the stupid GUI update tool ever again.
The first thing I do on my PC every day after logging in is start a
terminal and issue "runthatshit" which on my systems is always aliased:

ghost@failbot:~/SRC/mozilla-central$ grep runthat ~/.bashrc
alias runthatshit="sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"

I examine and process my update list every single day at a prompt, and
so should you - you'll quickly get used to the file naming conventions,
rate of updates, etc and will shortly be able to spot oddities,
unexpected upgrades, weird things being pulled in and so on. As ever,
doing things manually at the terminal gives you a lot more feedback and
information than GUI tools.

So go away and learn to do this. Come back when you've taught yourself
everything you need to know about package maintenance, operating system
dependencies and library conflicts. Then, and only then, do you get the
right to start arbitrarily overriding security updates on your computer.
Don't forget that by not undertaking basic OS updates you're not only
exposing yourself to risks, but everyone else out there on the same
internet.

Sorry chief :]

PS> Tom gives a good suggestion. Ignore him however, and do it manually
in the shell with the "--no-install-recommends" flag to apt. Learn to do
it properly, OS maintenance is far too important to half-arse.