Re: [LUG] Solid State Drive - first time

I've been running SSDs on my home machines and laptops for a while now
without any significant issues.  I went for the 'discard' option.
Perhaps the only real advice I'd give is make sure to have plenty of
free space (~25%) so there's room for blocks to move around.  I have
noticed the performance struggled when the disk was very full.

The only minor issue was that encrypted filesystems eat the discard by
default, as it gives a strong hint to the bad guys as to where live data
are.  LVM may or may not also pass the discards down to the disk.  You
can enable both of these pretty easily if you want (e.g.
http://blog.neutrino.es/2013/howto-properly-activate-trim-for-your-ssd-on-linux-fstrim-lvm-and-dmcrypt/).

Obviously if you're trying to keep stuff secret from the NSA, it's
probably wise to take the hit of disabling TRIM.  In this instance, make
sure to be behind at least 7 proxies before looking up all the youtube
videos on using thermite on hard disks :D

On 03/07/14 20:20, bad apple wrote:
> Anyway, for the final time please just add "discard, noatime" to your
> fstab and call it a day!

If you happen to like having access times on your files, check out the
relatime option, which is a semi-skimmed version of atime.  I quite like
them, but Ted Ts'o and bad apple agree, so 'noatime' is probably the
right one to pick:
 http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/03/01/ssds-journaling-and-noatimerelatime/

Cheers,

Mike.