Re: [LUG] Computer constant reboots

On 23/06/14 19:09, Eion MacDonald wrote:

> Dear folk,
> The heat problem may be problem with intermittent fan  use.
> I have one old machine with two hard discs one Windows Vista one OpenSUSE.
> On Vista fan always starts and keeps going. No shut down problem,
> except when doing a windows  monthly update, when it might cut out,
> let cool and restart.
> On OpenSUSE the machine starts,  the fan does not start, (reason
> unknown) and machine goes into constant re boot mode, each boot
> cutting out shortly after starting.  However start and but run
> 'vigorously' to well overheat, machine cuts out, than a restart under
> OpenSUSE  the fan cuts in at start and keeps going. No problem thereafter.
> I have cleaned machine, replaced fan , but not replaced the thermal paste.
> This may give you ideas.

Is there any particular reason why this machine isn't in the bin? I'm a
pretty rabid computer recycler, inveterate stock piler of old gear and
hopeless hoarder and even so, that machine would last about 5 seconds in
my mitts.

There comes a point when you just have to toss that old crap in the
trash, especially when a brand new SoC (Pi, Beagle, Android USB
"pc-on-a-stick", etc) or bog standard bare bones all-in-one x86 board
(AMD Geode, etc) would not only cost a mere few quid but probably pay
for itself in electricity savings within the year and would still
actually be *faster*...

Also you have no idea how lucky you are that you can let Windows fail (I
presume by this you mean literally hit the thermal caps and shut down
instantly) a monthly patch Tuesday roll-up marathon right in the middle
and then apparently pick right up where it left off and not have a
completely destroyed environment. I've seen laptops run out of battery
half way through a windows update run and never recover. It sounds like
your Vista box has survived numerous of these normally fatal events, god
only knows how!

Regards