Re: [LUG] OTish: Android phonecalls over WiFi

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

Hi all,

This is kinda off topic, but since Android is Linux anyway it is only off
by a little... honest.

My Google-fu is failing me big time over this. I'm trying to find if
there's any way to have phonecalls come in on my Android phone routed over
WiFi so I can take the call on my Android tablet or another WiFi-only,
SIM-less Android phone?

My phone only gets a signal in one spot in the office at home so unless I
leave it there I am unable to receive calls. Of course, if I answer the
call and move the phone away from this one spot then the call drops, so I
can't really use my mobile in the house at all. At the moment I'm using a
Bluetooth headset but everyone says there's a terrible amount of echo
regardless of what settings I use, so I'm kinda disregarding this as a
solution.

Anyone got any ideas?

The solution has nothing to do with Linux as such and everything to do with how the phone networks work.

With few exceptions, no phone network will do what you want without some actions yourself.

The exception is Orange and UMA technology. However while a good thing, it just doesn't work, and I've a funny feeling Orange might have abandoned it.

A local femtocell. This will depend on your network operator and how they feel about you and other factors.

The easiest but not the cheapest as the phone company will charge you is to divert your mobile phone number to your SIP number (or landline). The network will charge you for this, although you may have a facility to divert when out of signal, etc. check your phone and network facilities. You will not be able to divert a call that's currently in-progress (so if you move, the call drops and stays dropped)

The down-side of using SIP to take calls is that you need your phone to be in active Wi-Fi mode all the time. This sucks battery.

Also note that VoIP over Wi-Fi is basically rubbish. You need proper QoS/traffic shaping, quality Access Points which can also prioritise traffic and have the wind behond you. Wi-Fi is half duplex - VoIP needs full duplex. VoIP packets are 160 bytes + IP overhead, each way at a rate of 50 per second (each way). It just takes one PC copying files with 1500 byte packets to really upset things over Wi-Fi unless you have mechanisms to deal with it.

Consider switching phone networks.

An alternative strategy might be to not give people your mobile phone number and give them a geographic number instead. Then (assuming it's terminated on a VoIP system) you can have ti ring the mobile number, the mobiles SIP account, your deskphone's SIP account, etc. and answer it as you need. You'll pay the bridge fees from VoIP to mobile though, but most VoIP to Mobile fees are reasonable these days.

Gordon