Re: [LUG] Use your RasPI to monitor your electricity meter

On 10/04/14 18:36, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 17:59:11 +0100 (BST)
> Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Gordon,
>
>> Unless you connect it before the meter, but that would be illegal...
>
> I was about to say the same thing.
>
>> It's also possible to leech off overheard wires too - but I do recall
>> someone being prossecuted for that. Can't find it though. Ah, this has
>> something: http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=9291
>
> I recall it happening in this country back in the '70s.  Family changed
> all their lighting to fluorescent.  They lived almost directly under a
> HT pylon.

Not exactly the sort of gear you can pop down to the shops and buy, but
if you're in the Special Forces you can get yourself one of these:

http://www.gizmag.com/remote-auxiliary-power-system/16906/

Remote Auxiliary Power System (RAPS). Special forces or not, I'd be a
bit nervous about being the guy that actually had to use it though...

Regards