Re: [LUG] Microsoft cries out to UK government against open source

On 25/02/14 10:35, Simon Avery wrote:
On 25 February 2014 10:28, Martijn Grooten <martijn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A current browser can render an ancient Web page. Essentially you
> would be able to get at the information.

For some very weak definition of "information".

Hmm, not sure I agree unless you're defining information as including the style rather than the content.

I encountered this website recently (replace the *'s with the obvious)  http://motherf***ingwebsite.com/

I found it mildly amusing, but also feel that it makes a relevant point - although I fully expect designers to disagree with it :)

Having worked in local government and been in charge of conforming to accessibility standards I can say that that site is f***ing perfect. I managed (while I was there) to get things to be conformant first and, luckily due to timescales, managed to get plain vanilla web stuff up and running before the designers got hold of it - that way we got brownie points for accessibility milestones on time, the public got functioning clear data and designers had to explain what the extra work would add to a perfectly functioning 'app'. Simple CSS made the thing conform to basic design requirements so the pages didn't 'clash' with the rest of the site but most people thought the simplicity made them infinitely more usable than the flashy (and flash heavy) designer stuff. Simple HTML is more than a match for 99.99% of any data presentation and data collection.
Tom te tom te tom