Re: [LUG] router operating mode

On 16/02/14 21:22, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to set up an old router so it can act as a DHCP server for
> pi jams,  for people that just need to connect 2 or more computers

What type of router is it?

> together.  looking at the operating mode I have the following options
>
>     Mode
>
>     WAN
>
>     LAN
>     Router
>
>     RFC1483Routed
>
>     DHCP server enabled & global IP address
>     Bridge
>
>     RFC1483Bridge
>
>     DHCP server enabled
>     NAT
>
>     RFC1483Routed & global IP address
>
>     DHCP server enabled
>     NAT2
>
>     RFC1483Bridge & global IP address
>
>     DHCP server enabled
>     PPPoE+NAT
>
>     RFC1483Bridge & RFC2516
>
>     DHCP server enabled
>     PPPoA+NAT
>
>     RFC2364
>
>     DHCP server enabled
>
> Just wondered which is the one I need for this,  essentially it is a
> case of plug in,  to mains, turn on,  i can connect the lan out to a
> hub, so anything plugged in to the hub should get an ip address, from
> the router,

Unless it is something really odd it should do that just reset to
"factory default". I'll check out those I have in my "junk pile".
Failing that a pi and a switch will do the trick.

> the current address seems to be 192.168.1.9 however it seems to be
> getting that from my main router, as its plugged in to that so i can
> access the control panel.
>
> can anyone help please, i was thinking it could be something like nat or
> nat2,
>
> there is no reason to need the internet (or having to go through the

If you don't need an Internet connection then NAT isn't an issue.

It would even be possible to just use "link-local" addresses (either
IPv4 or IPv6) without DHCP.

> library wifi) to simply get an ip address for peer to peer connections,
> a cable does the trick if both are set to static, but that only allows 2
> computers to connect directly this may be more flexible,.  plus it gets
> round any restrictions on using ssh over wifi, essentially creating a
> mini network independent of library wifi,

The obvious issue with Devon Libraries wifi is that it has a very
restrictive set of firewall rules in place. Which blocks any
connectivity between wireless devices connected to the same access point
and restricts Internet connectivity to TCP ports 80 and 443.
(TCP port 22, TCP port 993 and UDP port 1194 definitly get blocked.)