Re: [LUG] Fwd: Link Removal Request

Matt Lee wrote:
> Also, the links from mailman have a nofollow relationship defined, so
> they shouldn't be considered

Good point Matt.

Have seen a number of these.

Google block a site because of abusive linking.

Site author panics and writes to all and sundry asking them to remove links.

My guess is dodgy SEO is the main reason.

I don't have time to educate all the confused people, but almost certainly
getting everyone legitimate to remove links will guarantee you never rank
highly in Google ever again.

Google will let them disavow some links as well.

In each case the right thing is probably:

 1) find the genuine abuse and sort that, almost certainly dodgy SEO
providers or other daft attempts to improve page rank.

 2) appeal to Google. Google are not stupid, they know you ultimately
don't control links from other sites to yours.

It may make more sense to do it in reverse order if you have no idea why
you got penalised.

Most third parties should ignore requests to remove links due to these
notices, because at a minimum you'd have to establish they are a genuine
request, and not some sort of negative SEO (get links removed to demote a
site in the rankings), and most likely you are not the problem link.