Re: [LUG] eee pc & Ubuntu

On Sat, 2014-02-01 at 19:57 +0000, bad apple wrote:
> On 01/02/14 19:45, bad apple wrote:
> > Or did you say that the laptop's screen is physically broken?
>
> Ok, I re-read your email more carefully and it isn't broken. But it is
> now booting up from cold fully dimmed right, so even the BIOS doesn't
> display? Can you use the Fn keys to raise brightness during the initial
> POST? I can think of lots of reasons why whichever Linux you're using
> might be accidentally starting fully dimmed (recent kernels have had
> 'issues' with the notoriously flaky Intel GMA chipsets) but it's
> definitely less clear why even the BIOS would be starting up like that,
> before the OS gains control. That would seem to indicate a hardware
> issue - you've obviously recently taken it apart so perhaps a lead or
> ribbon was accidentally left partially connected or something has shaken
> loose?

No it has worked fine for about 3 months after the fan and Ram,
It does a fast boot so no bios shown ( a red herring)

Yes to OS after update came up with the Display fully Dimmed.

> No idea what's up with your weird rotated screen issue either, although
> it's presumably also because something else more fundamental is wrong.
> If you can get into your BIOS, check and see if it has any settings for
> brightness and if so, make sure they're not set to Auto. Usually you can
> select User Controlled or similar, which should allow you to toggle the
> screen brightness as usual with the correct Fn keys even during boot.
>
> Regards

Its a mutually exclusive selection of display choices, If I try
Mirrored, I only get 600x800 on both.

If I sw off Laptop display I get all the TV sizes res'es and rotation
choices.
If I have both on I only get laptop display AC or Cw rotation ( not
normal) and only get two choices of res. Its not a problem as I have the
laptop display off currently, and am viewing a full res TV display
watching the Xmas Lectures from get_iplayer, so an interesting exercise
has refound my ee pc display (by accident) and I got a internet type
telly?

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)