Re: [LUG] Desktop Linux / Home Server / NAS

I too have been considering this for some time too. I've looked at all the options, Pi, Nas, Micro-servers, USB connected to router. But the sensible money is spent on the microserver.

You will be able to upgrade and expand to within its limitations, you can secure it with the tools you prefer. You can load any number of OS's onto the device and configure it to your needs.

Been checking out how to silence the device but that is as simple as adding 500rpm fans, and obviously a good choice in hdd's.

I too am following the posts by the list members closely and expect to have my mail/file server setup in the new year.

On Dec 26, 2013 1:43 PM, "Henry Bremridge" <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 08:20:07PM +0000, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> On 24 December 2013 11:40, Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > For many the default choice for this would be an HP microserver. Cheap
> > (often under Â100 with hdd + ram with cashback offers), reliable, well
> > built, linux compatible - lot to be said for them and I wouldn't argue
> > against it.
>
> Thanks for all the replies. I've been looking at a N40L and loading
> FreeNAS. Any thoughts please?

Been following this thread with interest. One of my tasks that I have been
meaning to do for sometime now is local backup of data both local and from
offsite

I was looking at NAS and met someone the other day who pointed me to the
Western Digital Cloud service see
- Â http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2013/10/10/review_western_digital_my_cloud_2tb_nas/
- Â http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=904&sid=211&lang=en

But the more I think about it, the less clear I am about what advantages it
has, apart from an app on android for access to your home server but I
think I can get this on a non rooted phone with eg

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.crystalnix.gloria

Any suggestions? Any thoughts?

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately verified digital signature is not binding.