Re: [LUG] OT: MS security whitewash

This is potentially huge.

My understanding of the data protection act (and I am a registered data controller) is that (even where it would otherwise be fair processing) personal data must not be transmitted to any country which does not have legislation equivalent to the Data Protection Act.

So if there is sufficient evidence or suspicion that MS et al have back doors to allow NSA spying, it then becomes a duty of care on data controllers not to hold any personal data on a computer running operating systems or application software produced by companies that have collaborated with NSA, if that computer is ever connected to the internet.

A (not exhaustive) list would include: Central Government, Local Authorities, Police and Criminal Justice authorities, all educational establishments, NHS and private medical services, Banks, HMRC, any employer using HR or payroll software (which must now be internet connected because of RTI) etc. In principle, all these could be forced to stop using MS Apple or Google software until it can be proven (presumably through the independent scrutiny of source code) that the software is now clean.

Phil