Re: [LUG] Hardware Encrypted SD

On 02/12/13 17:45, Simon Avery wrote:

>> All the encryption in the world won't save me so perhaps i need
>> to look at this project in a new light.
>>
> Indeed. We really don't have many rights to privacy left.
>
>> Any suggestions setting up a debian pi mailserver greatly
>> recieved.
>>
> Am so not a pi expert, but presumably raspbian has something
> similar to debian like:
>
> exim4 dovecot  (for imap)
>
> Optional but recommended: spamassassin and clamav. Oh, and enough
> free disk space for all your mail and logs.
>

> Exim4 is the debian default mail server. Gets mail in and out of
> your system via the internet in a variety of ways. I believe other
> choices are available, but I don't use them so can't comment.
>
> Dovecot provides imap to let your client (thunderbird etc) access
> the mail on your server.
>
> SA and Clam will scan and reject spam and viruses. (Also exim4 can
> be set to bounce by file attachment extension, etc)
>
> Lots of guides out there for this combination, and one I've
> personally used for over a decade for work. Exim4's complicated to
> configure, but as I say, there are guides a plenty and should you
> get stuck, ask here.

Further to this, your first job is to just get started with the
following two things immediately:

1: Actually install Debian, if that's your choice of distro, on the Pi
to find and work around any initial problems (people frequently seem
to have issues with flaky USB, powered hub issues, etc) and most
importantly to make sure encrypted LUKS is going to work on the SD
card for the root filesystem. After all, there's no point in even
thinking about this project any further if you don't at least get this
step done. You want to end up with a LUKS encrypted Pi, running a
minimalistic Debian Wheezy install and SSH access. Then back up the SD
card, because you're bound to get this wrong quite a lot of times.

2: Install a regular Debian system into a VM on your main computer and
then start following tutorials/howtos on setting up a mailserver. I
say do it on the VM, because it will have a lot more CPU/RAM even as a
VM than a Pi, and you *ARE* going to screw this up several times:
trust me on this. By the sounds of it you've never set up a Linux
mailserver before and whilst it's not rocket science, it is genuinely
pretty intimidating for the uninitiated. This is definitely not a
blind copy+paste a few lines from a random internet tutorial into a
SSH terminal job: you will have to set many kinds of parameters, fix
things repeatedly and test. Generate SSL certs, forward ports, get an
externally resolvable DNS. Set a MX record. You have A LOT of stuff to
do here chief: bear in mind you are about to connect a fully
functioning email server relay to the entire internet, and you should
know what that means before you do it.

Also ignore everyone else: there is only one MTA to rule them all, and
it's name is "sendmail". All other MTAs are only used by people who
don't know how to configure sendmail, just like Ubuntu is used by
people who can't configure Debian :]

Regards