Re: [LUG] OT. remove MS Office 2013

On 25/11/13 14:43, Eion MacDonald wrote:

>  Dear folk,  20131125
>  Tried to help a neighbour with MS Office /email problems yesterday.
> 1.Put him onto LibreOffice to sort out his reading emails .doc and .docx
> attachments.
> Now need to remove from his computer the copy of MS Office 2013 trial version he
> downloaded, I can
> find instructions for that, but I have never removed a downloaded MS Office before.
>
> Any kind help or points appreciated.
>
> He had downloaded MS Office 2013 so he could read .docx attachments sent to him
> which are not  readable in his ACER provided
> MS Office 2010 Starter a reduced Word/Excel very basis set up,  (a free attempt by
> MS to compete with OpenOffice from 2009 to 2010 now discontinued)
>
> 2. MS Office 2013 trial also placed BING BAR in ALL browsers and also installed
> BING and Skype.
> 3. Having got him off MS onto LibreOffice, I want to remove the Bing stuff and he
> also wants all MS office stuff removed.
> I find MS Office 2013 has rendered the MS Office 2010 folder blank, but his old MS
> Office 2010 Starter works from shortcuts in task bar.
> I am confused.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Eion MacDonald

To remove crap from Microsoft operating systems, grab a copy of this
(free as in beer, not freedom) 3rd party uninstaller from here:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html

An excellent tool for clearing out those stubborn programs, even the
bits that don't show up in the built-in Control Panel applet Add/Remove
Programs. It will optionally comb through the registry looking for stubs
and litter left behind as well.

As you've got rubbish like Bing and toolbars installed, it wouldn't hurt
to also get:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

This will strip out most adware/toolbar/persistent rubbish, even the
ones that really don't want to be removed.

If you right click on the start button and choose "Explore" you'll
launch a window containing the contents of the Start Menu - from here
you can manually delete the left over empty folders, un-removed shortcut
launchers, etc.

Regards