Re: [LUG] personal computer world (PCW)

On 19/11/13 12:49, Tom wrote:
> On 19/11/13 12:20, Paul Sutton wrote:

>>> I've got a 50MHz 486 upstairs with a gig of ram inside that I cant
>>> seem to part with. It used to outperform the pentium 70 and was not
>>> far behind the 120. Ran Yggdrassil with a 0.91 kernel
>>> ISTR it booted faster than Unity on my 4 core 2.5Ghz AMD....
>>> Tom te tom tom
>>>
>> I remember that distro, and 0.91 kernel must have been one of the really
>> early releases. I started a little later kernel 1.0.5 on slackware,  i
>> am sure the cd with that on is still around somewhere.
>>
>> Paul
>>
> CD? You were lucky - that was 30 floppies!
> Tom te tom te tom

Yeah well you had to copy to floppy using rawrite in DOS, :)
b1,b2 for base,  a1, a2 etc for erm applications

Manually partition the drive using fdisk,

I also ran out of floppies so ended up re-using them  of course you also
had a root / boot disk to get things started off,  proper cd rom support
didn't work for me till kernel 2.0.30 i think.  All good fun.

if anyone ever moans about Linux being hard to install its time to dig
out that old PC  and make people do it the hardway to show them how easy
it is to install now by comparison,  heck back then I had to install DOS
/ WIndows manually using floppies.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

Exeter Raspberry PI Jam 23rd November - http://dcglug.drogon.net/meetings/
Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam 14th December - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.