Re: [LUG] Simple programming language

On 16 Nov 2013, at 19:33, stinga <stinga+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> I am in the local school teaching programming and I want a non gui programming
> language.
> Old style like BASIC.

There are lots, what particular skills are you trying to impart?

Non-GUI is pretty broad.

For example SQL introduces new concepts over things like BASIC, is really easy to
set up for teaching and collecting work, non-GUI, but nothing like BASIC.

I like Logo, of turtle fame, but you really want languages with lots of support if
you have to also sell it as a marketable skill.

Cygwin gets you C, C++, Fortran, Prolog, TCL, Ruby, Python, Scheme and some others,
and a half dozen shells, various editors. Includes database clients as well for SQL.
If the type of language you want isn't there I'd be surprised.