Re: [LUG] PI updates

On 06/11/13 12:40, Paul Sutton wrote:
      I have just run

      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get upgrade

      on my pi,  not done this for a while and its my new pi, so a fresh
      image
      and only had the pi a few weeks,  anyway,  the above process
took ages
      due to pulling in lots of new packages / updates so if you have
not
      updated for a while you may want to look in to doing an update.

      it seems to pull in some packages for piface too

      all i wanted to do was install nmap.

      Paul
You could have just installed nmap!!!
Tom te tom te tom

I tried that, but it came up with a few errors / messages suggesting it
needed to update things before it could do that,  probably the package
that has nmap was more up to date than other packages on the system it
needed,  so hence it wanted to update things.

Once updated,  nmap installed without issues.

As Rob said its good to keep it upto date anyway,

I just mentioned all this as there is nothing worse than trying to demo
something and have the system require an update as you're doing it, it
takes longer,  and leaves you in limbo part way through a demo due to
updates.

Paul

You probably just needed the sudo apt-get update to get things 'balanced'.
synaptic is normally your friend.
Tom te tom te tom