Re: [LUG] Router question

On 24/10/13 10:07, Gordon Henderson wrote:

It seems to me that you've not listened to much of what we've said - or
maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Who knows. I've been using,
installing, selling Internet for about 20 years now, what do I know...

I'll put it in simple terms: You're using a rubbish ISP. Your slowdowns
are nothing to do with the physical line (14Mb/sec sync rate that
doesn't change when your data speed is slow), so it's either everything
to do with your modem/router (highly unlikely, but go & buy a new one if
you think it will help), or to do with the BT wholesale network (and as
BT are about to 10x the data capacity via that exchange it's highly
unlikely), or it's to do with your ISP and how it connects to BT and the
rest of the world.

The Internet is CONTENDED - you are experiencing congestion due to that
contention.

Some Internet providers are better than others - you get what you pay
for. I pay more for my connection, get the same speed as you, but I get
it all the time. My bet is that your ISP is the cause of the slow-downs.
Have you tried contacting them?

Gordon

No, I have not rung them yet, but I will do so. Have checked and I find that I have been with this ISP, fast.co.uk, for exactly 6 years this month. I have to say that this problem is very recent and I have always had consistent speed for years.

The modem, NetgearDG634G was purchased in May 2010 so it should still be OK.

My ISP is not doing anything about IPV6 at the moment (I have asked) so I have been thinking about moving anyway and so have been researching the web for a replacement. Nightmare!!

If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful. I am getting fed up with this nonsense.

Thanks

Neil