Re: [LUG] OT: Moving RSS folder for Thunderbird

On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 17:08 +0100, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> At the moment all my RSS feeds for Thunderbird are on my main HD in the
> Windows installation.  So far I've migrated everything else over to my
> new Mint 15 install, but I can't find how to move where Thunderbird
> looks for the RSS feeds.
>
> To explain the current setup.  Local Folders and all my mail accounts
> point to a separate partition from the default Windows installation, on
> the basis that if Windows gets hosed I won't lose any email, settings,
> filters etc - as I have a lot of separate accounts and dozens of filters
> setting them all up again would be a real pain.  So, Windows is on drive
> C, and my mail is on E.  Same physical disk but different partitions.
> Paths to mailboxes point to E:\.. etc.  However RSS Feeds point to
> C:\Users\Julian etc and I cannot work out how to point it elsewhere; you
> can't just select it in Thunderbird and type in the alternative, and
> there doesn't seem (according to a lot of Googling) a setting to do it,
> so I'm down to trying to work out which config file to alter.  The main
> feed is called BBC News, so I searched for that term in the profile
> folder and all I came up with is prefs.js.  I did find the path
> mentioned in that file so I amended it to my preferred location but that
> hasn't made any difference.
>
> Incidentally, the /reason/ I want to move it is so I can share RSS Feeds
> between Windows and Mint while I am migrating to Mint.
>
> Any ideas gratefully received.

does this help
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Sharing_a_profile_between_Windows_and_Linux

if not I would rename the local thunderbird folder in Linux and the
start it up again and see if you can point everything to come from your
"E:" drive /media/"Edrive"/thunderbird...

The article suggests RSS feeds are in the Mail folder with indexing in
the cookies.txt file. So a new local Mail account  Mail folder should
work?

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)