Re: [LUG] Borked system rescue plan

Not sure if I've understood correctly what you want, but I'm sitting here now using Clonezilla to image my root partition, before one of my 4-5 times yearly Arch (pacman -Syu) updates. It has been a very reliable & straightforward tool, in my experience.
Whilst Linux systems tend to be recoverable, sometimes it takes a whole lot of Googling, chrooting & patience.
You can save yourself a lot of time, sometimes, by having a current enough snapshot.
Of course, then you don't learn as much (fixing things).

Daniel Robinson <manipula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As we learnt last night, Jessie will be stable in a few months time and so the particular application I want to use (Steam) will be working on a Debian stable release.

Things break when trying to update glibc and that sort of thing and my knowledge of Linux is not good enough to recover the OS when this sort of thing goes wrong.

Again, This is why I find snapshots the bast way to recover from such a disaster!