[LUG] Separate Home Partition

A little while ago I bought a new laptop. It was my first time with uefi and I had a few problems because it came with secure boot enabled and Win 8 (trial version only) installed. I had to call the help line to get that sorted. With all that going on I forgot to set up a separate partition for home.

Now I am wondering if there is a way to change the partitioning so that I can have home separate while keeping the data intact. I have done some research. Plenty of advice about using gparted when installing a new distro but I cannot find anything about moving home intact to its own separate partition. Perhaps it can't be done?

The idea is that, when I move to a newer version of my distro, I can just install the root files but keep my home files untouched. Is that feasible please?

Or am I being over optimistic? If so I will remember to get it right next time!

Thanks

Neil