Re: [LUG] sky force MS to rename skydrive

As somebody who's recently had cause to instruct a lawyer about Trademarks, I now know a little bit more about it that I did.

Essentially, you pick what you want to trademark. Logo, phrase, company name etc, and at least one category.

The category list is (from memory, it was a few weeks ago) about 50 strong. Contains things such as Veterinary care. Medical. Transport. Computing/IT. Food. Alcohol. Holidays. Tourism - that sort of thing.  It's designed to cover every aspect of business, and inevitably is somewhat vague and overlapping at times.

There is a cost to this, albiet a relatively small one (low hundreds), and a smaller per-category cost for each one you choose from the list.

The idea is logical, in that you mark those where your company does or may operate in to protect your name and reputation.

Whether the trademark lawyer does a search for conflicting before it's registered, or just files it with the central body and has a cup of tea - leaving it to lie there until you have cause to pipe up and object to somebody who you feel infringes on your operations, I'm unclear but given the costs imagine it's just submitted. I would imagine that the trademark has absolutely no value until you put it in front of a judge, and even then is tested on its merits in each case.

And yes, numbers can be trademarked. And words. And images/logos (if they're not generic). And collections of words.

And you can't put "(TM)" or similar against words that aren't registered trademarks. What happens if you do, I'm not sure, but probably happier not finding out personally...