Re: [LUG] Alpine Folder Switching

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013, Martijn Grooten wrote:

I'm using procmail to filter mail to various mailboxes in ~/mail/ - that works well.

I've listed them as incoming-folders in .pinerc, so they show up nicely in alpine, including the number of unread messages in each folder. But
a) the folders are listed as mail/dcglug rather than dcglug and

looking in my .pinerc, i saw this:

 # List of incoming msg folders besides INBOX, e.g. ={host2}inbox,
 # {host3}inbox
 # Syntax: optnl-label {optnl-imap-host-name}folder-path
 incoming-folders=

and trying this...

 incoming-folders=lolcats /home/user/work/secret/lol/cats, dcglug
/home/user/spam/dcglug

...made the labels 'lolcats' and 'dcglug' show up in folder lists and
in tab completions.

b) I have to manually add each new folder to .pinerc.

if i go to Folder List > Incoming-Folders, and hit 'A' for Add, i get
three prompts: one for the server, one for the path, and finally one
for the nickname.

depending on your definition of manual, this may or may not be less
manual than editing .pinerc with an external tool.

Any idea how to make this work and look better?

except for the nicknames thing, no idea.  my only incoming folder is
INBOX.

INBOX is hard of hearing, stubborn and special:

 me: Rename

 alpine: Can't change special folder name "INBOX"

I suspect incoming-folders is not the right way to go about this,
but I haven't managed to find what is the right way.

i think you're doing it righter than me.

i've set up filtering rules, in alpine, in Setup > Rules > Filters to
filter new messages out of INBOX and save them to appropriate folders.

there seem to be some unexpected (by me) side effects. i see a lot of
triplicate messages in the target folders.

-wes