Re: [LUG] Laptops - and the battery

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013, tom wrote:

Cleaning vents - does anyone know of cheap airblasters for chocking to death on when things get a bit clogged? The ones I've seen cost about 10,000 time the price of a similar volume of air for diving.

I have a hand-held Dyson with a flexi hose attachment that's good for the inside of PCs, etc. it sucks rather than blows, but ...

One to thing to watch out for is spinning fans with it - most fans now are brushelss DC motors and do act like little alternators when spun - which can, in-theory damage the driving circuitry. I've not had an issue, but who knows.

Oh, and static electrickery. Brushing plastic/nylon against a PC motherboard, but again, I've not had an issue, but who knows.

Best way is to never get dust inside them in the first place, so use fanless PCs. Not always possible with things like gaming PCs though, but it's entirely possible to construct a home server out of a fanless PC.

Laptops do have fans - mostly due to their space constraints - little space means little natural airflow, so a fan is needed when it gets hot. I'm not sure where Linux is in the low-power stakes these days, but I know my old laptop runs virtually fanless with Linux compared to Win XP.

Gordon