Re: [LUG] OT surveillance

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013, Simon Avery wrote:

e.g. my NatWest card readers can authenticate my PIN without a connection
to any network at all, and I can also use them to change the PIN on any
card I own.

It can?

Your message prompted me to research the capabilities of my own Natwest
card reader (I have two, but one's for commercial stuff).

Reading the online instructions I can see a way of using this reader to
change my /online/ banking PIN, but not change it on the card. AFAIK you
can only do that at a Natwest ATM?

Ah, OK. I'll give you that. I can change the PIN on the Red card they gave me to use with it, but it won't let me change the PIN on my bank card. I just assumed it could.

However the PINs are still stored on the cards, otherwise C&P wouldn't work, nor would that hack work I posted earlier.

And yes, I have a reader for every bank account I have. All identical. Talk about a lack of joined up thinking )-:

Gordon