Re: [LUG] Hotel Logging in Management

On 13/06/13 22:19, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2013, Mark Evans wrote:

>> On 13/06/13 09:23, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>>>
>>> But you're right - there are no standard for captive portals,
>>> but in all the ones I've used, I've only seen 2 ways it's
>>> accomplished - one uses DNS to direct all web requests to an
>>> internal page and the other force re-directs web traffic.
>>>
>>> The force redirect is more efective in my experience - and I've
>>> designed systems that use both.
>>
>> It's likely to depend if the port 80 redirect operates at the IP
>> level or if it operates at the HTTP level.
>
> You do it at the IP level. You use Linux firewalling to do it.
>
>> The former (along with the DNS method) will most likely enable a
>>  browser with a proxy exception to communicate with your portal.
>
> The browser doesn't have a choice. It sends out a request for
> i.p.address, port 80. The router picks this up and forwards the
> request onto another server, re-writing the target IP address as
> it goes. (this other server can be the same as the router) This is
> a standard Linux firewall rune.

Not everyone setting up such a system will be using Linux or doing
things purely as a TCP port 80 MitM.

>> Since so far as the browser is concerned it is using a URL it is
>> able to access directly. Using an HTTP redirect is likely to fail
>> since it's unlikely that the resulting URL will match any proxy
>> exceptions in the browser.
>
> It doesn't have to match: Router says: Do I know this IP (of the
> client device)? Yes, let it through, no, send it a redirect.

The target URL needs to be one where the browser will attempt to make a
connection to TCP port 80, through the wireless interface. If it's
going to try and send this, to a proxy, using a different TCP port
then it will be unable to do so. Similarly if the machine was trying
to route the connection via a VPN interface.

>> Note that the IE "Bypass Proxy Server for Local Addresses" option
>> dosn't do anything like comparing the IP address of the target
>> URL against the IP address(es) and netmask(s) of the machine.
>> Which would probably be very useful in this context.
>>
>> Of course you are still going to be entirely stuffed with a
>> device which dosn't have a web browser. E.g. a Wi-Fi SIP phone
>> or one where the "web browser" actually runs in a data centre
>> somewhere else.
>
> Yes you are (stuffed). This has been considered acceptible in the
> systems I've deployed - beause the rules have been: Give us your
> email address and we give you free Internet.

In the situation of a hotel there are alternative channels for giving
"them" an email address. If the booking process has involved email
they even have reason to consider this a "valid" email address.
Otherwise someone may as well claim to be "dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" or
similar.