[LUG] Flat-file database

I want to create a simple single-flat-file database and I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding any FLOSS software to do it.

The aim is to move away from L/OOffice Calc (the spreadsheet) as this has proved far too error-prone, and user education has repeatedly failed to improve matters. I need to ensure that each record is isolated and encapsulated in the UI.

Unfortunately, it turns out that L/OOffice Base (the "database" module) only supports flat files (both spreadsheet and CSV) as read- only datasources -- for mail merges etc. (It also has the most unintuitive, ill-designed forms builder I've ever seen. The whole module reeks of developer-designed-UI).

Any ideas?

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63