Re: [LUG] Email encryption, was Re: www.dcglug.org.uk

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:51:49AM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> IIRC, there are inserts that fit into the card slot of ATMs, or any other
> card reader for that matter, that gather all the data they contain and
> record the PIN.  So, even keeping the card in full view is no guarantee.
>
> Whatever happened to cash?   :-)

Looked up the old joke about the leopard and the running shoes:

    There is an old joke about two men being chased by a leopard: one stops
    to put his training shoes on, the other says; âthereâs no time for
    that, you will never be able to run faster than the leopardâ, the first
    man replies, âit is only you I need to run faster than!â

But the rest of the article is more interesting

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/european-technology/out-running-the-leopard-dodging-targeted-attacks-in-cyber-space/1577

So presumably
1)  Simple solutions (keep the card in sight at all times, block SSH port
    22) will prevent stupid attacks and reduce headaches with not much work
2)  Sophisticated attacks are much harder to prevent but presumably there
    is a trade off issue. See all the material on the Bradley Manning and
    Wikileaks issue.

www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/12/wikileaks_1.html
www.technologyreview.com/news/514066/what-happened-when-one-man-pinged-the-whole-internet/

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately