Re: [LUG] Learning to use a home server

On 30/04/13 09:33, stinga wrote:
On 30/04/13 08:59, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Most of the 'Get started' type of help files begin by advising setting
up a static DNS for the server. That makes it easier, apparently, on
each restart. Now I thought that the idea with a server was to leave
it on more or less permanently. So any restarts should be very rare.

I think they mean give it a static ip address or map the name of the
server to an ip address so you can find it again.
If it was a dynamic address then it's ip address could change and you
would have to look up the ip address again and make changes all the time.

Thanks for all the advice, I will make sure to set up a static address for the server. The one most often recommended is 192.168.1.200 which is well clear of other possibilities.

Neil