Re: [LUG] www.dcglug.org.uk

OK so what DO we need from a lug website (feel free to add agree /
disagree below each statement in any reply)

clearly there is a consensus to have forums along side the existing
mailing list
but more importantly

a website is a clearly laid out portal to what we offer, as in (in no
particular order)

IRC

Mailing list signup info

member page that lists who is admin or can help with any of the above
services

it seems a portal to some sort of forum (kai suggested discourse)

A presence on facebook / twitter / g+ seems essential (or maybe
expected) if anything meetings can be tweeted and anyone just wanting to
meet up with like minded people can just follow us

A page to explain perhaps why facebook is bad (lack of freedom, etc)
and why alternatives such as

discourse / gnu social (ask matt lee about it ) are better interms of
freedom

A website that is maintained and has a TEAM of people who can do the
back office stuff esp if members are submitting content,  there may be
issues with what they have uploaded and they need a bit of help to tidy
things up or add pictures in the way that is appropriate.

(this is NOT suggesting people will upload inappropriate material but I
have tried, failed and given up due to issues and not being able to seek
help)

Any forum needs to appeal to new members young and older and have easy
access to what ever means of communication we choose.

>From what we need from a lug
access to help, in a open, friendly manner,  knowledgeable people who
will either answer the question or point people in the right direction,
rather than say RTFM,  sure we can suggest they read something and come
back if there are issues.   As people have said there is LOADS of info
out there its finding the good info from the bad comes from experience
of using things.

Perhaps promotion of OSS software

advocacy of OSS / Linux

Promote campaignts such as those to do with software patents, esp as
people are aware of these with all the MS / Android / Apple lawsuits
flying around BUT the issue affects smaller people.

Hope this helps

Paul