Re: [LUG] Building an iCloud

It depends if you really want to build something for yourself, or use something else existing that's free and easy.

Personally (and I know it's not everyone's favourite way of doing it) I do essentially the same thing through my Google account.

My mail, calendar (which allows me to import and integrate calendars from other places) and contacts are all centrally synced, and through Google+ all of my photos and videos are too. Google+ on an android phone allows a setting to automatically upload every photo and video you take, which are all saved at the original resolutions. Whether you share them on their social network is another thing all together, you don't have to and it doesn't default to that.

Any time I sign into a new android phone or tablet and add my Google account, all of my contacts, appointments and reminders are already there, and I can access any photos I've taken.

I don't really make use of Google Drive, which would be one step further and well and truly putting all of my eggs in one basket, but by the sounds of it, that might be what you're after anyway. The main advantage I can see over the iCloud stuff is that it's not tied to any one brand, manufacturer or OS. I can access any of my 'stuff' on phones, tablets and PCs whether they run Windows, Linux, Android or whatever.

I'll probably regret it all when Google turn out to be run by the devil and they try to take over the world, but for now I'm happy :)

Adam