Re: [LUG] UEFI _ a problem in Linux

On 18/04/13 17:38, bad apple wrote:

I think there is a lot of mis-information out there and a lot of scare
stories. I have looked around the internet and am more that a little
confused. Are there any experts on the list who can clear things up
for me (and possibly for other members) please?

It's nearly all scare-mongering crap Neil, don't worry about it at all.
You don't even use windows so you have literally nothing to worry about.

Hope that clears it all up for you and anyone else who's interested.
Personally I think UEFI is great when it's done right - after years of
using 'proper' firmware on big Sun, Digital, SGI, etc iron, I've always
hated the crappy, feature-poor archaic pile of crap that is the PC BIOS.
Bloody good riddance I say.

Regards

Thanks, that has cleared up a lot. After reading your full answer I am even more pleased that I have nothing to do with Windows. I did mention the possibility of buying a new computer in say a year or two and you said it would be certainly set up with UEFI. Perhaps I should have explained that I always buy computers with no operating system on them. I suppose, since Windows will never have been installed on it, that will make it even simpler?

And I certainly agree that the situation needed to be sorted out. The BIOS set up was never meant to be around for all this time.

Neil