Re: [LUG] HTML5 DRM

 On 18/04/2013 09:21, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:
On 17/04/13 20:33, Kai Hendry wrote:
On 17 April 2013 18:49, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 From what I've read the BBC are kinda being forced to use DRM as a
requirement of the media companies who supply the BBC with some of the
content (I'm sure I read somewhere that the majority of stuff broadcast on the BBC these days is from other suppliers which they don't hold the rights
for).
I'm sure that's an excuse. It would be so influential if British
programmes could seen all over the world without DRM. Feel like we are
missing a huge opportunity to take the lead with HTML video and to big
up British programming.

Not sure if you saw this interesting DRM discourse:
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z13qtnxhuojytbjbr04ci3cowrmtehsy324

you can't watch BBC programmes all over the world right now, with or without DRM. iPlayer, ITV player, TVcatchup (phone app) etc. only work with a UK IP address. There is FilmOnTVlive, website and app, which seems to be part of a project by a slightly dodgy US millionaire which rebroadcasts UK (and other countries TV) illegally. The company is trying to make money through ads, paid for HD and it's own content off the back of UK taxpayers and advertisers.

The only way to use these services is to subscribe to a UK based VPN or install Joderal Bank on the terrace of your apartment for Astra 28 satellite services.
Or by using one of the online services for the ex-pat community which is essentially an anonymiser/proxy by any other name (or is that what you meant by UK based VPN?). I've never used one but I assume you connect to their service and you get a UK IP address to view iPlayer etc.

Julian