Re: [LUG] Tor Project

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Today I found a reference to something called Tor.
>
> http://www.torproject.org
>
> Has anyone on the list come across it?

I have and I use it regularly.

Tor provides anonymity, not security. Browsing a malicious website
with a vulnerable browser will still get you infected. It does mean
all your traffic is sent encrypted over the Internet, so in that sense
it provides some security. It can thus be useful if you want to
prevent your ISP (and perhaps even the government) from seeing what
you're doing.

There's one major caveat though: it slows down your connection a lot.
Like Grant, I regularly experience timeouts and I thus think it is
unsuitable for day-to-day Internet traffic. Unless of course you are
an opposition activist in, say, Iran, or Myanmar. In that case you
have no choice but to use it.

Martijn.