Re: [LUG] irc

On 04/03/13 17:43, Simon Avery wrote:
> In the short time I've been on the list, both ircds have failed in
> turn, leaving me billy-no-mates on one until some kind soul came to
> find me.
>
> Outages have persisted for weeks.

And did anyone actually tell the server admin ?  no...

Also there are more than 2 IRCd's on the network, so want to guess
where the issue was ?

> Freenode's have never failed in that time other than the
> occasional disconnect, which could be anywhere along my route.

You have not been using IRC on Freenode as long as I have, that's for
sure...

> Using icmp is not a reliable guide for performance, especially for
> someone who's historically been the target of ddos's and may drop
> pings while still providing service. I'm surprised you wave those
> pastes around like they're proof of anything. Did you try
> connection to the server during those ping outages?

Given that it took less than 30 seconds to runthe whole lot, it would
be a little hard...

Using a ping IS a good measure of connectivity to a given IP address,
or did someone re-write the rules regarding IP networking while I was
asleep ?

> I don't like being ungrateful, but sometimes what's best for the
> group is more important than risking upsetting a couple. So please
> don't change just because I think it's a good idea (not that my
> influence is so great anyway), but because others also think it's a
> good idea. IRC is important to me and my first or second line of
> communication to several groups and friends, but it's not the end
> of the world and few others have a client set up to idle as often
> as me so I will happily concede majority view - just expect me to
> whine next time it breaks again... :)

Whine all you like, but unless you tell the UNPAID server admin that
pays for and maintains the server out of his own pocket don't expect
anything to be fixed.

Sore point, yes... Do people want to use FreeNode or my server ?