Re: [LUG] bad apple: follow up and fall out

On 29/03/13 16:51, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM, tom wrote:
Can you be sure - all that stuff is so easily spoofed unless its properly
signed. I used to send messages from Bill Gates and the only way to 'prove'
they didn't come from there was IF there was some way of proving the servers
weren’t up/existing at the times I gave.
>From the headers of that message:

        by pi.a-squared.co.uk with smtp (Exim 4.72)
        (envelope-from <ifindthatinteresting@xxxxxxxxx>) id 1UKzf9-0007Hd-Ih
        for list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Wed, 27 Mar 2013 23:21:47 +0000

This means that the list server (pi.a-squared.co.uk) received the
email from 212.82.109.201, which has a reverse DNS record
nm25-vm0.bullet.mail.ird.yahoo.com. That in itself already shows that
that is one of Yahoo's servers; you can do a whois lookup on the IP
address to confirm that.
Does your server write this to the header or just accept what its given? That stuff can be written into the header by the sender and if not checked/corrected by the receiver then it just stands:
If I telnet in to port 25 and go:
HELO microsoft.com most smtp servers just accept that as fact and then MAY use DNS to get the IP due to the fact that sending servers can be on a different IP for load balancing/spreading
Tom te tom te tom