Re: [LUG] .bad apple.

> Absolutely.  Yahoo is a joke.  Anyone using them as an email provider on
> the mailing lists I run has their moderation bit permanently set.  I'm
> considering doing the same for all the web based 'email' account
> providers.

Glad I'm not on any of your lists then...

I would say the majority of individuals use a free webmail provider.
Why would they not? The interfaces are very slick, they provide imap
and pop3 for those who want it, and their incoming spam protection is
usually better than most people can do on their own.

Even though I maintain our own mailservers for work, that's a dying
industry with many companies outsourcing - and you can't differentiate
between an outsourced address using, say, gmail as a provider, and a
free gmail account. How would you know? Can't go by email address.
There might be something buried in the headers to show it went through
a server belonging to a freemail provider, but I wouldn't like to
guarantee or monitor it to ensure no ham got hung up.

IME, the only way not to spend your time constantly frustrated and
angry with email is to adopt a somewhat pragmatic view.