Re: [LUG] OT: Freeview interference

> Aerial - I think I'd go with Freesat before trying to move this outside
> or replace it, since the price difference is going to be negligible.

This isn't very helpful to you, but...

Pre digital switchover, I had poor terrestrial and great Freeview.
Post DSO, not only did I lose terrestrial, I lost Freeview too. I
bought a bigger aerial, replaced all the wiring, replaced the STB,
spent ages aligning, bought boosters, signal testers, mast head amps -
did everything. Nothing was good.  I concluded that I'm in one of
those freak valley situations where I have no line of sight to a
repeater, and the Teign valley shapes signal all over the place. I was
picking up signal from hundreds of miles away, but nothing usable.

So I dug my satellite dish out of the shed (From a geek project years
before), built a siting pole from some scrap I had lying around, used
a website to align it, put a 4-way head on. Fed two lines to a lovely
Humax Freesat box, and two to my Mythtv server and have never looked
back.

I do miss Quest and Dave, but I have not had any interference since.
The Humax gives Sky-Plus levels of ease and feature, without paying
Murdoch a bean.  Freesat is a great thing, both technically and
politically. I love it.

So my advice is to stop messing around with Freeview and go straight
to Freesat if you're in a similar situation. If I'd done that I would
have saved a couple of hundred quid and many hours trying to get
things to work. Others will disagree, and obviously Freeview does work
well for some - but not everyone, and I do know many since DSO had
similar problems and have just quietly gone to Sky.

But if you want to ignore my advice... Want to buy an aerial - hardly used!