Re: [LUG] Sqlite front end

On 22/02/13 12:48, Kevin Peat wrote:

I would echo Simon's recommendation of Postgres. You can use pgAdmin
III for GUI management, it works great and I have used it for years.
You can use Views or Triggers to simulate calculated columns depending
on your application.

I remember paying £400 for a copy of Paradox back in the 90's and it
wasn't a patch on what you get today for free with Postgres.

regards,
Kevin

I am sure I never paid anything like that for Paradox. That was a huge amount back then and I would not have forgotten about it. The thing I liked about Paradox was that everything was included in the one package. I did work through the versions, from 7 to 9 if I remember correctly. And I definitely did not pay anything like £400 for any of them.

I know that I bang on about calculated fields but they are essential and, IMHO, should be top of the list when creating a new database package. Of all the databases I set up (and there were lots) only one did not include any calculated fields.

I have tried Postgresql in the past and found it very difficult to use. Perhaps things are better now. I will have a look. But again, from what you say above, the GUI is not built in and you have to mess around with 'Views or Triggers' to 'simulate' calculated fields. This should have been built in as part of the spec right from the start.

Or is Postgres not the same as Postgresql?

Thanks

Neil