Re: [LUG] NVidia drivers and Linux

On 14/02/13 00:44, Keith Abraham wrote:

The three other machines I maintain initially had Nvidia drivers. They
now use nouveau after Nvidia decided during the 304 driver series to
stop catering for the machine's rather ancient video cards. The machines
are meant to be up most of the day so admittedly I should have kept up
with Nvidia's news but I didn't. Therefore to avoid any future downtime
and the hassle it cost me it was easier to install nouveau and forget
about future driver problems.

Keith

Thanks for all the replies to my query. It seems to me that Nvidia cards work sometimes, don't work at all sometimes and work after a lot of hassle sometimes.

When I bought my latest computer a while ago I was a bit concerned that it had only an on-board graphics card (Intel). Now I feel quite happy with it. I don't play games and I am not interested in all the pretty effects available. So leave well alone.

I realise that for others this is not an option.

Thanks

Neil