Re: [LUG] raspberry PI MODEL A for same in Europe

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, Rob Beard wrote:

When I find my other Pi, I'm going to try the mobile emergency battery I found at Sainsburys, I'd be interested to know how long it would run for :-)

The Pi's not particularly low-power (relatively speaking). The SoC was designed as a set-top box, not a mobile chip, so some of the tricks to make it really low-power just aren't there.

However the Rev. 1.1 and Rev 2 is slightly better than the Rev 1 (See if it has green polyfuses next to the USB ports - if not, then it's a 1.1, Rev 2 has 2 big holes in the board for mounting pillars)

I'm told the Model A uses about 1/3 of the power of the Model B's too, so that's going to be better for battery operated things like robots, etc., but we're still looking at about 1 watt - which isn't a lot, but that's 150-200mA at 5v - compared to an arduino at 1/20th of that. (10mA tops, 5mA typical)

Still - not bad for a 32-bit PC with 512MB of RAM!

Gordon